Saturday, September 27, 2008

Picture day


Sonshine had pictures today with his soccer team.

We needed to be there by 1 pm and at 12:35, Sonshine couldn't find his uniform. He solved his problem by putting on a mis match throw together multi blue uniform. I was not a happy mama. I has spent the summer helping him organize his room so that he could have a place for everything and everything in it's place, including his uniform.

How in the world did he misplace it? I started in with the usual "you better find your actual uniform or you can forget going to pictures..." "I am not wasting my time helping you anymore, I can't believe you lost your uniform, why isn't it where it needs to be?" and so on. He was frantically looking, angry and frustrated.

Then suddenly all that wonderful parent training kicked in. Since groaning at him wasn't working and we were both just getting angry and more frustrated I decided to change tactics.

"You know what Sonshine, I am taking on a problem that isn't mine and I am very sorry, I want to take you to your picture, I really don't want you to miss them." I said. " I am going to take you as soon as you find your uniform. The pictures are at 1pm and it is now 12:50."

I walked out of the room disappointed and assuming that we would be missing pictures. but, this way if he missed pictures it would be his fault not mine.

His little sister piped in. "I'll help you look brother." together at 12:57 they located the missing uniform and we hussled to pictures, we were late and I half expected the pictures to be over but he made it just in time. Afterwards, he thanked me for taking him to pictures. I never expected a thank you.

1 comment:

Redford Writes said...

Seth was just telling me today that his teacher has a policy that if you lose something and she finds it for you, you have to give her something in return. He owes her a chocolate bar or something and another kid owes her a cherry Dr.Pepper.